Saturday 11 July 2015

Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation



When I heard that MAC where bringing out a new version of their Pro Longwear foundation I was so excited. I love the original Pro Longwear foundation it’s brilliant on my oily skin and lasts all day. Unfortunately the saying “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” springs to mind when I think about their new Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation.

When I tried it first I thought it was just my skin that was the problem, but having an oily T-zone and dry cheeks I feel like it should have at least looked better in some parts than others but sadly no. The first thing I noticed is that it really dry’s into the skin which I’m not used to with my usual foundations. I also noticed that when the skin is powdered it clings the powder to the skin showing up all the little hairs on your face and making it look super obvious that you have makeup on.

Now the big seller with this foundation is the fact that it’s waterproof, which when it comes to a foundation is a pretty big statement so I knew I had to test the theory out. Now I don’t usually wear foundation when I workout but when the Mini Marathon was on last month I thought that there was no better time to test it out. Along with being a sweaty mess it was also raining (a lot) that day. By the end of the 10km I looked like an absolute mess, the foundation had melted into patches around my face and when I touched my skin the foundation was caked onto my fingers. As it was raining on and off throughout the run I would touch my face lightly and each time there was transfer onto my fingers. So my little test was a big fail, but not everyone will be running 10km in the rain wearing this makeup so I’ve noticed other little discrepancies with this foundation on a normal everyday basis too.


With it being so hot recently I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s been a sweaty mess and it also doesn’t help If you’re like me when you’re doing your makeup and you have Spotify on in the background and you just can’t help having a wee dance. Those two things combined, plus this foundation it not a good match. A little TMI but my top lip can have some sparking perspiration on it sometimes after all the heat and dancing, now I’m not dripping it’s noting gross it’s just a glisten, a little tap from my finger or a powder brush and it’s usually sorted. However when I have done that whilst wearing the Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation it immediately transfers and basically takes the whole layer of foundation off. So that got me thinking that when they say waterproof do they just mean a spritz of rain on the skin instead of sweatproof, but still I’ve never seen this happen with any other makeup I’ve ever tried whether it be waterproof, sweatproof or just your every day run of the mill no frills foundation.

I’ve mentioned at the top of this post how after powdering your skin the powder clings to all the tiny hairs and makes it look very noticeable, so to rectify this situation I get my trusty friend MAC Fix+ out and spritz it all over. Now with it being a waterproof foundation a little spritz from a setting spray shouldn’t bother it at all but what do you know there was no waterproofness here. I did my little spritz and it waited the few seconds for it to dry, I noticed it did take longer for it to dry into the skin then any of my other normal foundations. Usually if there was a bit of spray on the skin that hasn’t soaked in yet I’ll do a little pat just to take any excess dampness away and doing that with this foundation just resulted in movement and transfer of the foundation. I tried to blend it back into place but that just made it worse.

As far as comparing it to the regular Pro Longwear foundation there basically is no comparison, it’s nothing like the original. Firstly the colouring is different so it’s better to do a colour match in store. I bought mine online, I’m usually an NW15 and what I got was so pale (basically white) it doesn’t match any of my other NW15 foundations. You also don’t get as much product, its €36.50 for 25ml which isn’t a lot when most MAC foundations are 30-35ml. It also claims to have 16hr wear but after 8-10 hours I was dying to get it off my skin, it wore off around my nose, chin, cheeks and forehead, basically my entire face. It’s safe to say I just didn’t like this foundation at all.

If your still thinking about getting it I’d recommend going into your local MAC store and getting samples to test at home, I’m raging I’ve spent that much on an awful foundation.

I’m really not sure who this foundation is aimed for, it’s definitely not your oily or dry skinned girl. Maybe if you have perfectly nourished skin then this is for you but this definitely isn’t for me!
I’m raging I didn’t like this, I had such high hopes with this foundation, I’m just so disappointed and I hate doing bad reviews but this is just awful.


If you have tried it and had success let me know below, I’d love to see if it worked on anyone else. I’ve read loads of reviews since buying the foundation and none have them have been good so I’m happy it’s not just myself thinking I’m over exaggerating.

Thanks for reading.

Love Sarah xoxo


No comments :

Post a Comment