Friday 9 January 2015

"If you go Into The Woods today your sure of a big surprise" - Into The Woods Review


I’m going to start off by saying I don’t like musicals; they’re always too chirpy and tend to wreck my head by the time I get half way through them. Saying all that I was pretty excited to see Into The Woods and had an idea it was going to be good with such an array of names in the cast. The cast is pretty impressive with Meryl Streep, Anna Kendrick, James Cordon, Emily Blunt, Chris Pine, and Johnny Depp topping the billing.


If you grew up like me loving Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Riding Hood and the rest of the gang then you will love Into the Woods. A mixture of the Brothers Grimm stories, this Disney musical is the business and one for all the family.

I had no idea this was a Broadway musical first but as I said I’m not big into musicals so I’m sure that’s why it passed me by.  Like any Disney movie there has to be a few catchy songs thrown in the mix and Into The Woods doesn’t disappoint although noting as catchy as Let It Go, but I was singing the main song all the way home.

The main storyline involves a baker and his wife who long for a child discover a curse had been put on them by the local witch, to lift the curse need to go into the woods to get a number of items before the next blue moon. To get these items they come across Red Riding Hood, Jack and his beanstalk, Cinderella and Rapunzel who all have their own sub plots throughout the movie.

The singing wasn’t annoying at all which I was so happy about and probably made the comedic value of the movie even better. By far my favourite scenes where any of the ones involving Chris Pine (Prince Charming), not just because of his obvious good looks but because the comedic value of his character, he’s also a surprisingly good singer.

Chris Pine as Prince Charming

The only thumbs down I will give the movie involve the Wolf character played by Johnny Depp. I’m one of these people who listen intently to lyrics and I was a bit off putted by some of the content as they came across a bit sexual,
Look at that flesh, Pink and plump. Hello, little girl...Tender and fresha few people sitting around me seemed to notice the same content as well. It would go over a child’s head but as an adult it was just a bit cringe worthy.


Johhny Depp as The Wolf
If you like musicals and movies like Sweeny Todd then you will love this, it’s the perfect movie for the family definitely getting the thumbs up from me. Into The Woods is released today (9th January) across Ireland and the UK.

Thanks for reading.


Love Sarah xoxo

No comments :

Post a Comment