Wednesday 5 March 2014

Models Own Hypergel review

Hello Hello!!

Nails! Apart from lip products anything to do with nails is definitely my second love.
Last year I went month's getting gel nails but I could tell that they were starting to ruin my real nails underneath so I had to take them off. The result was hideous paper thin nails, fortunately after a lot of hand cream, cuticle oils and some repairing nail varnishes they are finally starting to get back to normal. 

Now I've never had Shellac nails but my friend raves about them so when I saw that Models Own had brought out a nail varnish that gave the same type of effect for only €7.65 I was intrigued. I had seen some reviews from other bloggers about the varnish that spoke well about it and figured I'll have to try them. Boots where doing a 3 for 2 offer at the time so I bought Coral Glaze - a lovely peachy coral, Cerise Shine - a hot Barbie pink and Cornflower Gleam - a baby sky blue.
They have 10 shades altogether containing lotus flower oil and the result should be a high shine gel finish.

The first time I put the Cornflower gleam on my fingers and I immediately noticed that the colour is so pigmented and really only a single coat was needed without seeing any of the original nail. Now I did this while sitting in my room about a half an hour before I was going to get into bed, thinking it would be enough time to let them dry. Well was I mistaken, usually I'll give nails a good ten minutes before I start doing anything so after a half an hour of me bouncing around my room to Beyonce I figured they would be bone dry, but they started to come off when they got hit, they smudged and basically it was a hot mess.

I tried it again for a second time the next day, leaving it a little longer but the same result happened but to a lesser extent, as you can see in the picture below.


So for the 3rd time I tried the Cerise Shine on my left hand and the Cornflower Gleam on my right (I left the Coral Glaze in work so haven't tested that one yet). I took my time on this occasion, knowing that they take forever to dry I sat down and made sure I had no distractions. Initially I was happy with the result, it's a high shine and they did look like they had gel on them. 
    

 

After nearly an hour and a half of doing my nails and letting them dry I noticed that the smooth sheen was gone and replaced by bubbles, the only time I had seen this happen was when I got cheap gel nails done! I Googled it thinking maybe it was something I had done wrong but I couldn't pin point anything. 


After an hour I decided it should be OK to move around again but as soon as the nails touched off anything they did get dented. I'm not usually one to moan too much about a product but after 3 times of putting the varnish on this really has to be one of the worst varnishes I've bought for my nails. It could be that it's thicker and it is only a new product so maybe they just need to do a few more tweaks, but I like to be able to put on my varnish and go. After an hour I really should not be worrying about my nails not being fully dry.
The only positive I can come to are that the pigments are amazing, the colours do really pop and will compliment your spring wardrobe and if i'm honest that's the only plus I can think of :(

Love Sarah xoxo

No comments :

Post a Comment