Monday 3 March 2014

Oscars Red Carpet 2014


Last night was the 86th Academy Awards or the Oscars to you and me. One of the most anticipated nights in the fashion calendar - who will wear what designer, who will steal the show and who will have a fashion disaster. I've put together some of my favourite and worst looks from the night, there was a lot to choose from but I managed to narrow it down to my top 5.

Best dressed:

5) Olivia Wilde - Valentino
Now I've never been pregnant but the thought of having to walk the red carpet with a basketball in front of you just sounds like a daunting experience but I think Olivia rocked it. She went for an understated black Valentino high neck gown with white detail at the back. You would have to look twice to even notice that she is heavily pregnant, definitely my favorite pregnancy look from the night.

4) Sandra bullock - Alexander McQueen
The Gravity star chose a lovely navy McQueen gown, now her film choices can be a bit meh (I absolutely detested Gravity), but when it comes to red carpet looks, especially this awards season, she is pretty much always on point and this gown doesn't disappoint. The deep blue/navy dress was topped off with a Lorraine Schwartz jewels. Can you believe this woman is 49!!
3) Kate Hudson - Christian Dior
This dress just blew me away; the stunning Kate Hudson wore a daring plunge champagne dress topped off with cape. It reminded me of something from old Hollywood, a genre that I adore and while keeping with the minimalist makeup theme I thought a pop of red on the lips would have really made the look complete. 


2) Angelina Jolie - Elie Saab
Girl crush alert!!! After a slightly dodge dress from her last appearance at the Oscars in 2012 (you all remember that mad leg), Angie came back fighting with this Elie Saab number. The exquisitely embellished metallic gown was topped off with simple hair and makeup, the red carpet trend of the night and with Brad beside her they where the best looking couple of the night for me.
1) Lupita Nyong'o - Prada
Lupita, Lupita, Lupita!! This girl stole the red carpet show; I haven't seen a best dressed list today that doesn't have her on the top spot. She told Ryan Seacrest that she chose this dress as "it's a blue that reminds me of Nairobi" her home country. What a beautiful description, the "Nairobi" blue Grecian style dress had a plunging neck line that was popular on the red carpet and was topped off with a controversial headband which I personally loved. Over all this awards season I think Lupita has won with a rainbow of dress colours she stood out at every event with her bright ensembles. 



Worst Dress:

Now a quick run through my worst dress (I had a load written earlier but it didn't save so this is the quick version). 

5) Lady Gaga - Versace
Now I have to say it was a toss between Gaga and Penelope Cruse for this one but Gaga won. There was a lot of this pale pink on the carpet, the colour is just not for me I really didn't like it. The scarf is doing noting for me and the slicked back hair that has been all over the red carpet this season i'm really not loving and the only person in my opinion that can rock that is the Queen B herself Beyonce!

4) Margot Robbie - Saint Laurent
What a transformation this girl has given us! From blonde bombshell to vampy goth since her last awards show. The whole thing for me was a little too dark, it could just be that we're so used to seeing her with blonde hair and bright makeup. But when it comes to the dress I thought it was a bit ill fitted around the upper arms.

3) Elsa Pataky - Elie Saab
There where a lot of well dressed pregnant ladies on the red carpet this year but I think Mrs. Hemsworth was at the bottom of the list for me. I know shes pregnant with twins but having such a low cut dress and having a bump that big is just a no no! Maybe i'm a little prudish but I think Kerry Washington and Olivia Wilde won the pregnant ladies category in their loose fitted dresses for me.

2) Pharrell Williams - Lanvin
When it comes to men and the red carpet there really isn't that much that you can do with a black tie tux, that is until Pharrell came along with his cut off pants! Maybe we should be happy he finally got rid of his Vivienne Westwood hat but when it comes to the Oscars Pharrell please wear a normal tux next time!


1) Liza Minnelli 
Where do I start! I suppose I should give props to a 67 year old with blue streaked hair it actually looks alright, but dear god woman put a bra on!! The red carpet wasn't a warm place last night as Ms. Minnelli's nipples where on show to the world, you think that would be the worst thing with not having a bra on but they where have way down to her belly button! Not the best red carpet look. Finally, silk pants are just about OK as pajamas definitely not for the Oscars; I'd invest in a new stylist Liza it's not like you can't afford one.


Love Sarah xoxo

2 comments :

  1. Brange are always the perfect couple :-D you can't not love them! Omg though what was Pharrell thinking?!?!

    www.times2style.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pharrell was a disaster like the one night your supposed to look good and proper but Kate Hudson I just died when I saw that dress!

    ReplyDelete